No region selected
Operate Breathing Apparatus
Face to Face
Equips workers with the skills required to safely inspect, maintain and operate self-contained breathing apparatus (SCBA).
If eligible, NSW employers may be able to part-fund or fully-fund the cost of this course for their staff through the Smart and Skilled initiative
|Location (NSW)||Start Date||Places Left|
For group bookings please call us on 1300 990 810.
Students who are deemed competent will receive a Statement of Attainment recognised under the Australian Qualifications Framework. This certification is nationally recognised. The Statement is issued by Pinnacle Safety and Training (RTO 40496).
National units of competency
- MSMWHS216 - Operate Breathing Apparatus
- PUAFIR207 - Operate Breathing Apparatus Open Circuit
- PUAFIR210 - Prevent Injury
- $269.00 per person for public courses
- For group bookings outside our public course schedule or at your location, please submit your group booking enquiry here for an obligation free quote.
VACCINATION REQUIREMENTS FOR NSW AND VIC PARTICIPANTS
In accordance with the current State Government’s guidance, all students (16 years and over) attending our courses at our Sydney and Melbourne training centres are required to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19.
Please bring your COVID-19 vaccination certificate or other valid proof to your course. This is a condition of entry to your course. You will be unable to undertake your course without showing proof of vaccination. Instructions on how to access this certificate are available here.
If you are booking on behalf of other participants, please ensure they are double vaccinated and will have their certificate available on the day of their course.
Our breathing apparatus training course will equip you with the skills required to safely inspect, maintain and operate self-contained breathing apparatus (SCBA). This training will be suitable for both confined space workers, or workers who may be required to use breathing apparatus during fire or in hazardous environments.
This course is taught by highly experienced Emergency Services instructors. This training course will teach trainees:
- How to determine what hazards may exist within various atmospheres
- How to risk assess the best work method from the hierarchy of hazard controls
- How to inspect breathing apparatus
- How to test breathing apparatus
- How to use breathing apparatus
- Applicable Australian Standards and regulations
- Hazardous environments that require breathing protection
- Breathing apparatus training requirements
- The human respiratory system
- Types of breathing apparatus
- Communication procedures
- Risk assessments and hierarchy of hazard control
- Breathing apparatus components
- Calculating working duration and emergency escape times
- Using breathing apparatus control tally boards
- Breathing apparatus safety and entrapment procedures
- Cleaning, maintenance and testing procedures
All necessary equipment will be provided.
Each Trainee Must Provide
- Be at least 18 years of age
- Participants must be clean shaven. The unit of competency demands that students “Don the apparatus in accordance with workplace procedures and the manufacturer’s specifications.” The manufacturer’s specifications state: “The sealing line between head and facepiece must be free of hair and foreign substances which could cause leakages”. Furthermore, AS 1715 requires users to be clean shaven.
- Appropriate clothing, closed-in footwear.
- Confined Space Entry - Online Theory + Half Day Practical
- Confined Space Entry - 1 day
- Confined Space Entry - 2 day
- Gas Test and Permit Issuer
- Confined Space Awareness
- Operate Breathing Apparatus
- Confined Space Rescue
- Gas Testing Training
- Risk Assessment Training
I really respect the way your RTO goes about training. This was my second course. I’m still doing another two courses with Pinnacle and also considering a Cert 3 in Mine Rescue in Brisbane after those. I think the professionalism of your team will definitely prepare me for a variety of roles in the future. I am very confident the skills I have learned at Pinnacle are industry best practices and of the highest level.