Drill Rig Rescue Training
Face to Face
Teaches the skills to work safely at heights on a drill rig, along with how to plan and perform first response rescues of a fallen worker.
Pinnacle’s Drill Rig Rescue program was developed from scratch to meet the needs of drilling companies and contractors within the industry in Australia. We deliver best-practice work at height knowledge, but contextualise it heavily towards a rig environment. We then add a significant rescue and first aid component, so that if a height-related incident occurs on site, workers are equipped to respond. This training is designed to save lives.
We run this course frequently for companies both on site, and at all of our purpose-built training facilities (Brisbane, Sydney, Melbourne, Perth, Gladstone). Please get in touch for more information or to book in a group.
Students who are deemed competent will receive a Statement of Attainment for Drill Rig Rescue which is recognised under the Australian Qualifications Framework. This certification is nationally recognised. The Statement is issued by Pinnacle Safety and Training (RTO 40496).
National units of competency
- RIIWHS204D - Work Safely at Heights
- RIIRIS201D - Conduct Local Risk Control
- PUAFIR215 - Prevent Injury
- PUAEME001B - Provide Emergency Care
- PUASAR022A - Participate in a Rescue Operation
2 days. Allow two 8-hour days. The second day can run long depending on group size.
Drill rigs are potentially hazardous work areas. The drilling industry has recognised the need to equip workers with more advanced work at height knowledge and rescue skills than previously available. Pinnacle Safety and Training have developed this customised course in partnership with industry representatives and key drilling company stakeholders to meet this requirement.
RIIWHS204D - Work Safely at Heights
Work at heights training is focused on fall prevention rather than fall arrest. It is designed to equip workers with the knowledge and skills to safely work in any height situation on a rig, primarily being aimed at situations where work is conducted where a fall from one level to another is possible.
We will always customise the course to suit your unique work site requirements. Training covers risk assessment, selection and correct use of equipment, selection and use of anchors, fall restraint, work positioning and fall arrest systems.
RIIRIS201D - Conduct Local Risk Control
This unit covers the requirements of risk management processes in the drilling industry. It includes identifying hazards; assessing risk and identifying unacceptable risk; identifying, assessing and implementing risk treatments; and completing records and reports.
During the course we will assist you to develop your work method statements and risk assessments for working on platforms and anywhere on site a fall may be possible. All workers who conduct or supervise tasks whilst at height will find this course beneficial to workplace safety. This course will enable you to comply with current WHS legislation with successful trainees receiving a nationally recognised statement of attainment.
PUAFIR215 - Prevent Injury
This unit supports Conduct Local Risk Control and covers the competency associated with the identification, avoidance, review, and evaluation of workplace risks and hazards, maintenance of personal safety and the reporting to supervisors and team members. This unit is a prerequisite to Provide Emergency Care.
PUAEME001B - Provide Emergency Care
This unit covers the competency to provide emergency care pending the arrival of appropriately qualified personnel. This unit is a prerequisite to Participate in a Rescue Operation. You will be taught basic first aid theory, and this will be applied in your practical scenarios.
PUASAR022A - Participate in a Rescue Operation
Did you know that as of January 2012, it is a requirement under WHS legislation that if a fall-arrest system is in use, there must be a rescue procedure in place, and this procedure must be tested to ensure it is effective? This unit covers the competency required to participate in rescue operations as a member of a rescue team. We will go in-depth into rescue operations for height-related incidents which may be encountered on a rig site. We will spend a significant amount of time in practical, hands-on rescue scenarios (e.g. Gotcha Kit and Controlled Rate Descent (CRD) rescue scenarios).
The key areas covered by this course include:
- Australian Standards and relevant regulations and legislation
- Risk assessment and hazard elimination
- Equipment selection and use, including fall restraint systems, fall arrest systems, hauling, work positioning systems, energy absorbing lanyards and PPE
- Methods of accessing the work position
- Rope management and house-keeping
- Selection of solid and reliable anchor points
- Ladder safety training
- Developing and testing rescue plans
- Basic emergency care skills
- Fallen worker retrieval and rescue techniques.
- Training conducted by an experienced height safety specialist with strong knowledge of relevant legislation and Australian Standards
- Practical hands-on training
- Recommendations and advice for specialised PPE and equipment for your particular drill-rig and worksite
- Advice on risk control methods for the type of work to be undertaken.
Each Trainee Must Provide
- We can supply all equipment necessary for you to undertake training including harnesses, ascenders, descenders etc.
- We actively encourage you to bring along your own equipment.
- Please contact us to discuss your equipment requirements.