No region selected
Diploma of Work Health and Safety
Designed for people who are wanting to work in a health and safety management field at an organisational level, such as WHS director or expert safety advisor.
Funding is currently available for eligible members of the Queensland construction industry
Students who are deemed competent will receive a Diploma in Work Health and Safety BSB51319, which is recognised under the Australian Qualifications Framework. This certification is nationally recognised. The qualification is issued by Pinnacle Safety and Training (RTO 40496).
National units of competency
- BSBWHS513 Lead WHS risk management
- BSBWHS515 Lead initial response to and investigate WHS incidents
- BSBWHS516 Contribute to developing, implementing and maintaining an organisation’s WHS management system
- BSBWHS519 Lead the development and use of WHS risk management tools
- BSBWHS522 Manage effective WHS consultation and participation processes
- BSBMGT516 Facilitate continuous improvement
- BSBWHS517 Contribute to managing WHS information systems
- BSBWHS520 Manage the implementation of emergency procedures
- BSBWHS512 Contribute to managing work-related psychological health and safety
- BSBHRM509 Manage rehabilitation and return to work programs
- BSBWHS517 Contribute to managing a WHS information system
WHSO Certification - QLD only
Upon successful completion of our BSB51310 course, you may apply for a Work Health and Safety Officer (WHSO) certificate of authority from Workplace Health and Safety Queensland (WHSQ). Participants need to apply directly to WHSQ. Applicants must email a certified copy of evidence of their identity (drivers licence) and their statement of attainment/qualification to email@example.com.
- Study at your own pace when it suits you
- You have 12 months to complete your qualification (extensions available)
- Motivated students may finish quickly
- Just $975.00 pp. Start now!
- Funding is available for eligible members of the QLD construction industry. Eligible students can undertake this course at - save 975.00! Check your eligibility and apply now.
This online course has been designed for people who are wanting to work in health and safety management field at an organisational level, such as WHS Director or expert Safety Advisor. When time is precious this course offers participants the option to study in their own time. Participants will learn how to review and audit health and safety management systems, apply continuous improvements, undertake high level risk management processes and develop corporate style policies and procedure to manage work health and safety processes.
This course is built around a fictitious organisation and you will be engaged through scenarios and problem-based learning concepts. You are recruited as the new Work Health and Safety Director and as part of the assessment you are immersed into the workplace to improve the organisation’s work health and safety practices.
Pinnacle’s Diploma program is not like the others that have you complete one unit at a time for the amount of units required of the qualification. We have built a course that is clustered into five modules. This means you are completing integrated assessment and not unit-based assessment like the other providers do. This approach allows you to complete a more simplified, holistic assessment process and not duplicate assessment tasks.
The key areas covered by this course include:
- Australian Standards and relevant regulations and legislation
- Risk assessment and hazard control
- Analysis of WHS management systems
- WHS consultation and participation processes (identifying participants, reviewing procedures, ascertaining training needs, communicating data, developing improvement initiatives)
- Incident response procedures
- Assisting in incident investigations
- Establishing, reviewing and evaluating WHS measures and initiatives.
Problem based learning
This course is built around a fictitious organisation, to which you have been recruited as the new National Work Health and Safety Director, and immersed into the workplace to identify instances of non compliance and improve the organisation’s work health and safety practices.
You will be requested to access the organisation’s fictitious website to review their WHS practices, find out what the problems are, and decide if the organisation’s processes are compliant. You will watch videos from employees and undertake other learning activities. You will work through project assessment tasks that require you to put yourself into the organisation’s problem scenarios. After the review and analysis of all the problems you will determine and communicate why things need to change and put forward recommendations on how to improve the WHS practices.
As depicted in the image below, this style of learning is known as ‘problem based learning’ and this is the approach applied throughout this course to give a real life feel and engaging process through your learning journey.
- Access to digital learning guides for each of the units which you will study as part of your qualification
- Access to online discussion forums to interact with other learners
- Full support from our experienced trainers as you progress
- Freedom to study at your own pace when it suits you
- As our online course is offered to students throughout Australia we have participants in every state and territory. Due to the variances in WHS legislation across the jurisdictions, we have based the learning and assessment in this course on the Safe Work Australia Model legislation. You will gain knowledge and skills of how to research, investigate and apply the Model legislation in various scenarios. Returning to the workplace, you will be able to use the skills you have learnt with the legislation applicable to your jurisdiction. This online program leads to a qualification that is nationally recognised.
- Download the Diploma BSB51319 Course Guide for more information.
To successfully enrol into this course each participant must submit a copy of their completed BSB41412, BSB41415 or BSB41419 Certificate IV in Work Health and Safety Statement of Results showing completion of the following core units of competency:
- BSBWHS412 Assist with workplace compliance with WHS laws (or BSBWHS402A, BSBWHS402)
- BSBWHS413 Contribute to implementation and maintenance of WHS consultation and participation processes (or BSBWHS403A, BSBWHS403)
- BSBWHS414 Contribute to WHS risks management (or BSBWHS404A, BSBWHS404)
- BSBWHS415 Contribute to implementing WHS management systems (or BSBWHS405A, BSBWHS405)
- BSBWHS416 Contribute to workplace incident response (or BSBWHS406A, BSBWHS406)
The above prerequisites must be uploaded to your online learning platform. Access to the full course curriculum and assessment tasks will not be granted until the prerequisites are provided. Once you have submitted your prerequisites we will conduct the verification process and release access to your course within one business day of the documents being submitted.
Please note that BSB41407 - Certificate IV in Occupational Health and Safety is , and does not meet the prerequisite requirements. If you hold this qualification, please contact us prior to enrolment to discuss options for recognition of prior learning (RPL).
Mandatory requirements for all participants
- Be at least 18 years of age
- Use your own computer, which meets the minimum System Requirements of Pinnacle’s e-Learning system (we officially support and recommend modern desktop or laptop computers running Google Chrome web browser). You must have a stable internet connection. Your computer must be able to play sound. Due to the research and assignment components of this course, other personal devices (e.g. phones and tablets) are not supported.
- Have a . Your assignments will be conducted on a computer, and if you do not have a suitable level of computer experience, you will not be able to complete the course in the timeframe allotted.
- Have the skills to compile electronic documents using software applications (e.g. Microsoft Word), and software that will allow you to open and edit Microsoft Word documents.
- Be confident to conduct research, analyse your findings and present information in assignment-style assessments.
- Be motivated and comfortable to complete the training and assessment in an e-Learning environment
- Have the skills to compile electronic documents using software applications (word processing)
- Be able to conduct research and present information
- If English is a second language, you will need to complete a language, literacy and numeracy (LLN) questionnaire. Contact us to discuss.
- Certificate IV in Work Health and Safety
- Diploma of Work Health and Safety
- Work Health and Safety for Supervisors and Managers
- Health and Safety Representatives (HSR) Training
- Health and Safety Representative (HSR) Refresher Training
- Health and Safety Committee (HSC) Training
- White Card Training
- Manual Handling Training
- Silica Awareness
- Risk Assessment Training
- Hazardous Areas Awareness
- Occupational First Aid Training
- Incident Commander / Controller
- ICAM Lead Investigator Training
- Chain of Responsibility
I would just like to say a thank you for all your positive feedback and advice on my submissions while completing this Diploma course. I can honestly say that I have enjoyed the whole process at Pinnacle and the way the course is set up, it actually makes the learner feel like they are a part of a real workplace i.e. the “ABC Corp”. Every scenario has been realistic with challenging but very relevant assignments. All in all I would not hesitate to recommend Pinnacle to anybody who wants to complete WHS qualifications.
Alistair W. - Warrnambool, VICOnline Course Participant
I have completed my course and would just like to say thank you so very much for all your assistance during my training. Honestly Pinnacle Safety and Training has been the absolute best RTO I have used and will definitely be doing further training with you. Your assistance and support has been second to none and I cannot praise your support enough. Again thank you and I look forward to further training with your organisation (possibly Cert IV Training and Assessment) in the very near future.